Winter can bring low temperatures and harsh weather, but it’s important to keep ourselves warm both inside and out. Here are some healthy options for staying warm this winter:
- Soup: Warm up with a bowl of vegetable, chicken, or lentil soup. Soup is a great way to get in some extra vegetables and stay warm at the same time.
- Hot drinks: Sip on hot tea, coffee, or cider to warm up from the inside out. Opt for a non-dairy milk alternative like almond or oat milk to make it healthier.
- Roasted vegetables: Roast a pan of root vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, and parsnips for a warm and healthy side dish.
- Whole grain porridge: Start your day with a bowl of hot oatmeal or another type of whole grain porridge. Top with fruit and nuts for added nutrition.
- Spices: Add warming spices like ginger, cinnamon, and allspice to your dishes to boost flavor and warmth.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, and chia seeds are a great source of healthy fats that can help keep you warm.
- Leafy greens: Add dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, and Swiss chard to soups, stews, and casseroles to get in some extra vitamins and minerals.
- Fish: Fish like salmon and sardines are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which can help to regulate body temperature and keep you warm.
By incorporating these healthy options into your winter diet, you can stay warm and nourished all season long.